Tuesday, March 4, 2008

corporate persons

In my long search to try to determine the real shape of the world, one of the craziest things Ive come across is the idea of corporate personhood.(even spellcheck balks at that one...).It is amazing to me how powerful these creatures have become and how effective the Right wingers have been at muddling, rather, short-circuiting any debate on the matter.The manipulation and pseudo-arguments are widespread. From equating anything remotely resembling populism to Communism to to opening up the flamethrowers on anyone who questions the idea of unregulated greed as the highest possible good, the Right has succeeded mightily in shutting down all opposition to the corporate agenda. Express concern for the environmental or labor consequences of unmitigated avarice, well you must be a pinko. Too many examples to choose from, but you get it. Eh?
It's now expanded, this meme of branding and shouting down opposition, to encompass every aspect of public life. The Coulterisation of public "debate", the violent hysteria over any criticism or dissent.
Even I, the obstinate asshole from the fringe, proudly flying my Freak-Flag, have found myself keeping a low profile and self-censoring my comments.(Hence, this blog. I don't really care what anyone says, anymore)
The treatment of Cuba for the last half-century(!) is a case in point. As near as I can tell, given the mud and disinformation peddled by our 'free press' and gooberment mouthpieces, Cuba has been a sucess, in their own way. Perhaps Noam Chomsky was right . Perhaps their success at an alternative way of life to our 'free-market' is the reason the ptb had to keep them down. I find it interesting that i'm 'allowed' to go to Iraq, and even North Korea, to see for myself... but not Cuba. What are they afraid that I will see? Happy Cubans?
The history of corporations is a sordid one,wich I won't go into here.Go look it up.
However, the idea that an immortal legal fiction has come to be the dominant 'species' on this planet is abhorrent to me.Our creatures are the overlords of their creators. It reminds me of the Butlerian Jihad portion of the Dune series, the 'time of the titans.'
I fear that if we don't wake up, soon, it will be too late to remedy.
Corporations are NOT persons. They only "deserve 'the "rights" we afford them. We are their Masters, if we would only remember our proper place.
sigh.

No comments: