Wednesday, April 9, 2008

On Education...

Now that my Wife is almost done w/ college and will soon be gainfully employed (if the world,as we know it, doesn't go down the crapper...)... I'm exploring an online degree for myself.
I figger if I can't hardly walk and 'dislike' the general public, I can't be a Chef, anymore.It's time, perhaps, that I make myself employable.
It's an expression of hope for the World that I am even contemplating this. I detest institutions and I hold in little regard the opinions and requirements of our contemporary culture.
However, if things don't fall apart, I need something to do.

I'm thinking a double major in History and Theology, then a masters in Anthropology or Philosophy, then eventually some kind of Doctorate. The only job around here that even remotely apeals to me, aside from Hermit/Philosopher, is teaching History, Government/Economics at the highschool. The fella who does it now has been there forever and is one of the worst Right Wing nutjobs I have ever encountered. My tax $ are paying him to force Fox news on unsuspecting kids and pontificate on the Evil of Liberalism, the Triumph of Xianity, and How The Republicans Saved Civilisation. (!)
For me to replace him would be Poetic Justice in the extreme.


I'm not sure how much freedom I have in "building" a degree. Don't know how this works.Esp. above BA.
I'm interested in Civilisation and Mythology and how they're connected viewed through the lens of Philosophy.
So, I want to be a 'Doctor of...?"... what?
If I had $, time and mobility, the College of St. Thomas More, in Ft Worth, appeals to me. As does Oxford.
But, with 2 kids, no $, living in my enclave in the Wilderness, I have to settle for what's within reach.
We'll see.

" Not failure, but low aim, is crime."-James Russel Lowell.
"Life is about failing at greater and greater things."- Goethe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that in order to get a masters degree you must apply to graduate school and pass certain exit exams. Why don't more people in your community complain about this high school teacher? You would think that this kind of behavior would not be tolerated.

Anonymous said...

I think you should be commended for wanting to go back to school. I think that you must apply to graduate school and then pass an exit exam that deals with your area of study. As far as the high school teacher, why don't more people in your community complain about him? Why can't they get rid of him?